26 April 2022. President of the IPA Russian Section Yury Zhdanov together with a member of the IPA RS Supervisory Board, Deputy Chairman of the Executive Board of SberBank of Russia Stanislav Kuznetsov took part in the Remembrance Campaign – Ceremony of laying flowers at the Shchekutinsky Memorial to the soldiers of the 4th Division of the People’s Militia (Narodnoe Opolcheniye) who had died defending Moscow during the Great Patriotic War on the outskirts of Moscow.
Veterans’ organisations of the Ministry of Economic Development of Russia, Sber and the local territorial settlement also participated in the event.
The Shchekutinsky Memorial is dedicated to the soldiers of the People’s Militia 4th Division of the Kuibyshev district, Moscow. It is located on 79 km from Moscow (Kiev highway). The Memorial is named after the nearby village of Shchekutino in the Naro-Fominsk district, Moscow region.
The People’s Militia Division began to be formed on 2 July 1941 as the 4th Division of the People’s Militia in the Kuibyshev district of Moscow. It was expanded with fighters from the Lopasnensky, Shchelkovsky and Yegoryevsky districts of the Moscow region. The initial formation of the Division took place directly in Moscow from 5 July to 12 July 1941.
On 1 September 1941, the Division received a substantial replenishment and became part of the 49th Army. Since 1 September, according to the new staffing table, the division had the 1287th, 1289th, 1291st Rifle Regiments and the 971st Artillery Regiment.
The first clashes of the Division units against the enemy took place on 15 September 1941 in Zaluchye village. They continued in the area of Turskoy village and Lake Seliger. In one of the first battles, Krasnov, a deputy of the Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union, secretary of the divisional party commission, was killed.
On 26 September 1941, the Division was renamed the 110th Rifle Division. During a week of fighting near Naro-Fominsk, which lasted from 13 October 1941 to 20 October 1941, the Division lost 6,179 people killed and wounded.
At the end of April 2001, the burial of remains of the soldiers who died defending Moscow took place in the Kantemirov division, Naro-Fominsk. On 23 June, in the Shchekutino village of the Ateptsevsky rural district, the grand opening of the Memorial to the Fallen Soldiers of the 4th Division of the People’s Militia of the Kuibyshev District, Moscow took place. It was restored by the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of the Russian Federation (after 2008 reorganised). More than two hundred names of soldiers who gave their lives in the battles for Moscow were indicated on the marble tablets. Before that, the Shchekutinsky Memorial was restored only once – in 1998, at the initiative of the Veterans Council of the 84th Guards Rifle Division (the former Division of the People’s Militia) at the expense of the South-Eastern Administrative District of Moscow. The ashes of 206 more nameless soldiers were also buried in the mass grave.
Sberbank of Russia has been patronising the Memorial for already ten years.